How to cook Port Braised Cabbage
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil 80/20
2 oz. Bacon diced 1/4"
4 oz. Red Onion (julienned 1/8")
1/2 ea. Cinnamon Stick, 3"
1/8-tsp. Ginger (peeled minced 1/8")
2-qts. Red Cabbage, core removed, shaved 1/8”
1/8 tsp. Fresh Thyme Leaves
Fresh Oregano finely chopped
¼-tsp. Garam Masala
¼-cup Tawny Port Wine
¼-cup Red Wine Vinegar
Pinch. Salt and Pepper
1-ea Granny Smith Apple (cored, peeled, diced ¼”)
½-cup Brown Sugar
1/8-tsp. Ground Cloves
How to prepare Cabbage
- Place the oil and bacon into a pan and render bacon until crispy.
- Add the red onion and cinnamon stick. Sauté until soft (approx. 2 to 4 minutes).
- Add the ginger and sauté until aromatic (approx. 30 seconds).
- Add the red cabbage and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Be sure not to scorch the ginger on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the thyme, oregano, garam masala, red wine vinegar, port wine, cloves, and salt & pepper mix. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Add apples and brown sugar. Continue to cook until the liquid is almost dry. Season with salt & pepper mix.