How to prepare Creamed Street Corn
Margarine 2oz (w)
Red Onion, diced 1 cup
Garlic, minced 1 Tbs
Corn, frozen kernels 4 cups
Tajin 2 tsp
Chile powder 1 Tbs
Kosher salt 1 tsp
Black pepper ½ tsp
Lime juice, fresh 2 Tbs
Sugar, granulated 1 cup
Heavy cream 1 ½ cups
Cornstarch 1 Tbs
Water 1 Tbs
Ingredients for serving:
Sour Cream 1 Tbs
Lime Wedge 1 Each
Pico de Gallo or Canned Salsa 2 Tbs
Cotija cheese 2 Tbs
Tajin Spice 1 Tbs
How to prepare Street Corn
- Heat a sauce pot. Add margarine and allow it to melt
- Add red onions. Stir until the onions become translucent
- Add garlic. Stir to combine. Be sure not to burn the garlic
- Add the frozen corn kernels. Stir to mix ingredients well. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring to keep it from sticking to the pan.
- Add tajin, Chile powder, kosher salt, and black pepper. Stir.
- Add lime juice and simmer until reduced by ½
- Add sugar and stir again.
- Add heavy cream. Bring to a simmer. Stir it occasionally, and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes, or reduced by ¼
- Combine cornstarch and water. Add to simmering corn mixture. Stir until the mixture thickens.
How to assemble your dish
- Place the corn mixture into a large cast iron skillet, or other appropriate serving vessel.
- Place sour cream in the middle of the dish and squeeze the lime over the top.
- Sprinkle the Pico de Gallo or salsa and Cotija cheese over the mixture evenly.
- Sprinkle the tajin over the entire dish.
Creamed corn is usually one side dish that everyone agrees on around the table. Check out another simple Roasted Corn recipe here to make your cooking easier.