How to prepare Short Ribs
Yield: 6 Servings
Ingredients: 5 Lb. Short Ribs
1 Tbsp. Salt, Kosher
1 Tbsp. Pepper, Black, Coarse Ground
3 Tbsp. Oil
1 1/2 Lbs. Yellow Onion, chopped
1 Lb. Celery
1 Oz. Tomato Paste
1 Bottle Red Wine (fruity and not tannic)1/2 bunch parsley
5-6 sprigs Fresh Thyme4-5 sprigs Fresh Oregano
2-3 sprigs Fresh Rosemary
2 Each Bay Leaves
2 Oz. Whole Garlic
1 Qt. Veal Stock
1-1/2oz. All-purpose Flour
How to brown Short Ribs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a heavy, gauged stack pot until smoking.
- Working in batches, brown short ribs on all sides about 5 minutes total per batch.
- Transfer short ribs to a sheet pan and set aside.
How to make the base
- Pour off all the oil except for about 3 tablespoons.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery over medium heat and, stirring often, cook the vegetable mixture until they are caramelized and very brown.
- Add the tomato paste and continue cooking until well combined and deep red in color, stirring constantly.
- Pour in red wine and deglaze pan scraping bottom of the pan, then reduce heat and cook until the wine has reduced by half.
- Add the herbs, garlic, and veal stock to the pot.
How to combine altogether
How to make the sauce
- Place short ribs into the pot.
- Cover with its top or aluminum foil and place in oven and cook for 2 and half hours or until the short ribs are tender and pull away from the bone.
- Gently transfer short ribs to a pan to cool.
- Strain sauce through a sieve.
- Set aside to cool to below 150 degrees.
- This is important to keep your final sauce from lumping. There should be about 3 cups of liquid. If not, add water until you have 3 cups.
- In a clean saucepot, heat butter over a medium flame and melt.
- Cook butter until most bubbling stops (this is from boiling off water from the butter, which we don’t want here).
- Add flour while whisking and continue to whisk until this “roux” is smooth.
- While constantly whisking, add the sieved reserved sauce to the pan and start bringing to a simmer, gently whisking the whole time.
- The sauce will thicken and come to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Add the reserved short ribs to the sauce and gently heat in the sauce just until hot.
How to assemble your dish
Serve with your favorite side dish. We recommend polenta to absorb all short rib juices or alternative purees from mashed potatoes to white beans.