How to prepare King ranch Casserole
Yield: 4 Servings
Happy National Texas Day! We wanted to celebrate this day by sharing this fantastic recipe with you from our King Ranch Texas Kitchen Chef Carlos E. Rodriguez.
1/4 Cup vegetable Oil
1/4 Cup Red Bell Peppers (seeds removed, diced)
1/4 Cup Poblano Peppers (seed removed, diced)
1/2 Cup Yellow Onion (chopped)
1 Cup Mushrooms (sliced)
2 Cups Tomatoes (diced ½)
1 Can (10.75oz) Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 Can (10.75oz) Cream of Chicken Soup
1/2 Cup Sour Cream
1 Tsp Chile Powder
1/2 Tsp Mexican Oregano
1/4 Tsp Cumin
1/2 Tsp Coarse Black Pepper
Chicken, cooked & chopped, smoked or roasted
10-12 each Corn Tortillas (cut into quarters)
2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
How to prepare Casserole Chicken Filling
- Heat Vegetable Oil in a sauce pot.
- Add Peppers, Onions, and Mushrooms. Stir and sauté until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add Tomatoes, Chile Powder, Oregano, Cumin and Black Pepper. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes until the tomatoes begin to soften.
- Add Cream of Mushroom and Cream of Chicken. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and reduce by ¼ in volume.
- Lower heat and add Sour Cream. Simmer again for 5 minutes.
How to assemble the King Ranch Casserole
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 9x13 casserole dish, spread ¼ cup of the Chicken Filling on the bottom of the dish.
- Spread 1/3 of the cooked chicken over the sauce. And top with ¾ cup of the shredded cheese. Top the layer with 1/3 of the cut corn tortillas.
- Make another layer as above.
- On the top layer, spread the remaining Filling and cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbling and the top is golden brown.
How to assemble the dish
- Cut or spoon the casserole onto plates.
- Top with a dollop of sour cream.