How to Prepare Chateaubriand
How to prepare the Roast:
- Pre-heat oven to 450° F degrees.
- Season chateaubriand with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil until very hot. Sear the chateaubriand over high heat, turning, until browned all over.
- Transfer to a rack or plate and rest for 20 minutes or so.
- Discard the majority of the fat and add the shallots to the pan.
- Cook for about 30 seconds without coloring. Add the Madeira or Port and reduce to a syrup.
- Add veal demi-glace and reduce again to a syrup. Set aside.
- Combine Roquefort cheese and butter and stir together with a spoon or fork until combined. Refrigerate until needed.
- Place chateaubriand in the oven to an internal temperature of 115˚F for rare, 120˚F for medium-rare. Let rest, uncovered for 12 minutes before cutting.
- Gently reheat glaze in the same pan on low heat. Add Roquefort butter into the pan in 4-5 separate chunks and swirl into a sauce. Remove from heat and fold in crème Fraiche.
- Serve with sliced chateaubriand.