How to Prepare Tuna Tartare
Difficulty Level:Serves 4 to 6Ingredients:3 Cups Sunflower or Canola Oil24 Wonton Wrappers (3-inch square), Sliced in Half on the Diagonal1 lb. Tuna, Cut into 1⁄2-inch Dice1⁄2 Cup Chopped Scallions, White and Green Parts1 Clove Fresh Garlic, Minced*1 1⁄2 tsp. Toasted White Sesame Seeds1 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes⅓ Cup Soy Sauce1 tbsp. Sesame Oil
How to prepare the Tuna:
- In a heavy saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat until hot. The oil should register 350°F on a deep-fryer thermometer.
- When hot, fry 3 or 4 wonton wrappers for 20 to 30 seconds or until lightly golden. Lift from the hot oil with tongs and drain on paper towels. Continue frying until all 48 pieces are fried.
- Put the chips in a basket or bowl, and keep them uncovered until ready to use. If you need to store them longer than a few hours, you can put them in a tightly covered container for up to 24 hours.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the Tuna, scallions, garlic, sesame seeds, and red pepper flakes. Add the soy sauce and sesame oil and stir until incorporated.
- Transfer the tuna mixture to a serving bowl with a serving spoon, and surround the bowl with the fried wontons.
*To toast the sesame seeds, spread them in a small, dry skillet and toast over medium heat for about 30 seconds or until they darken a shade and smell fragrant.
Try this wine pairing
German Riesling (Kabinett) truly brings out the buttery flavors of this mild fish. It will also temper the spiciness of the dish.