HOW TO PREPARE SEARED SESAME-CRUSTED TUNA
Yield: 6 ServingsIngredients:6 -10oz. Tuna Steaks, Each About 1 in. thick1⁄4 Cup White Sesame Seeds1⁄4 Cup Black Sesame SeedsKosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper½ Cup Sesame Oil2 tsp. Wasabi Paste1 Lemon, Quartered4 Sprigs Flat-Leaf Parsley¾ Cup Soy Sauce
½ Cup White Rice Wine Vinegar1 Tbsp. Sesame Oil1 ½ tsp. Minced Peeled Fresh Ginger1 ½ tsp. Finely Minced Garlic1 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
How to prepare the Soy-Ginger Sauce:
- Whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil.
- Add the ginger, garlic, and pepper flakes and stir to mix. Set aside.
How to prepare Tuna:
- In a shallow dish large enough to hold a tuna steak, mix together the white and black sesame seeds.
- Season both sides of the tuna steaks with salt and pepper.
- One at a time, put the tuna steaks in the sesame seeds, pressings them into the fish to adhere.
- Turn the steak over and press the seeds into the other side to distribute evenly.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, sear the tuna steaks for about 1 minute on each side.
- Using tongs, hold the tuna upright to brown the edge in the hot oil and until the tuna steaks are medium-rare. For more well-done tuna, increase the cooking time by 30 to 60 seconds on each side.
How to assemble the dish:
- Lay a tuna steak on each of the 4 serving plates.
- Spread a little wasabi paste on each lemon quarter.
- Garnish with a lemon quarter and parsley sprig
- Serve the sauce on the side.