How to prepare Creole Etouffee
Yield: 6 - 8 Servings
3 Lbs. Crawfish Tail meat
½ Cup Unsalted Butter
½ Cup All Purpose Flour
¾ Cup Yellow Onion, ¼” Diced
1 Cup Celery, ¼” Diced
1 ¼ Cup Green Bell Pepper, ¼” Diced
1/3 Cup Garlic, Minced
1 Tbs. Creole Seasoning
1 Each Dried Bay Leaf
4 Each Fresh Thyme Sprigs
4 Cups Chicken, Shrimp Or Seafood Stock
½ Cup Green Onion, ¼” Sliced
Salt & Pepper To Taste
How to prepare Etouffee
How to assemble the dish
- In a large sauce pan melt the Butter over medium heat, whisk in flour until light blonde, approximately 3 minutes.
- Stir in Onion, Celery, Bell Pepper and Garlic, stir occasionally until vegetables are tender, approximately 8 minutes.
- Add Creole Seasoning, bay leaf and thyme, stir for about 1 minute and add stock of your choice.
- Cook to a simmer stirring occasionally until slightly thickened, approximately 30 minutes.
- Stir in Crawfish Tails and simmer for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Remove and discard Bay Leaf and Thyme, season with Salt and Pepper.
- Scoop cooked rice with a rice scoop or a spoon and place in the center of a bowl.
- Pour Etouffee over rice and garnish with Green Onions.