How to Prepare Beef Brisket
Serves 4 to 6Ingredients:3 lbs. Boneless Beef Brisket
1⁄2 tsp. Kosher Salt2 tsp. Olive Oil1 large Yellow Onion, coarsely chopped1 tbsp. Chili Powder12oz Jar Chili Sauce12 oz. Can Beer1 Canned Chipotle Chile, chopped (about 1 1⁄2 tsp.)Chopped Fresh Cilantro
How to prepare the brisket:
- Remove the brisket from the refrigerator and let it rest at room temperature for 30 to 60 minutes. (These directions apply to fully thawed brisket; for timing for thawing fully frozen brisket, check our Thawing & Storage page).
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Season the brisket on both sides with the salt.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat, and when hot, brown the brisket for about 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a roasting pan or deep baking dish large enough to hold the brisket and set aside.
- Reduce the heat under the skillet to medium and cook the onion for 4 to 5 minutes, or until softened. Sprinkle the chili powder over the onion, stir to mix, and cook for about 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the chili sauce, beer, and chipotle chile, bring to a boil, and then pour the mixture over the brisket. Cover tightly and bake for 2 1⁄2 to 3 hours or until the meat is tender when pierced with a fork.
- Transfer the brisket to a cutting board. There will be about 4 cups of sauce in the pan.
How to assemble your dish:
- Cut the meat across the grain into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Arrange on a serving platter and spoon some sauce over the brisket.
- Garnish with the cilantro and pass the remaining sauce on the side.