How to prepareDifficulty Level:Yield: 50 - 60 cookies
Spices: Ingredients for dough: Mix the following spices in a bowl and reserve.3 tsp. Ginger, ground3 tsp. Cinnamon, ground2 tsp. Cardamom, ground1 1/2 tsp. Cloves, ground1 tsp. Star Anise*, ground 1 1/2 cups (12 oz.) Unsalted Butter, room temperature1 1/3 cups Sugar1 tsp. Iodized Salt3 Egg Yolks2 tbsp. Vanilla Extract3 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour (sift after measuring)Reserved Spice MixtureRaw Sugar Crystals (for decoration)How to make the cookie dough:
- Place butter, sugar, and salt in a mixer with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until light and fluffy; about 2-3 minutes.
- Add egg yolks 1 at a time. Mix after each yolk until incorporated. Turn off mixer and scrape the entire bowl with a spatula.
- Add vanilla extract and mix until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine spice mix into flour and mix with a whisk until incorporated.
- Turn off mixer and add flour mixture to mixing bowl. Mix on low just until dough comes together. Do not overmix. Scrape the bowl as necessary.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and divide into 2-3 portions rolled into logs (approx. 1-1/2” wide). Place dough on a parchment lined pan, cover and chill overnight (or at least 3 hours).
- Cut chilled dough into 3/8” thick coins. Place coins on a new parchment lined pan with 1” between each cookie. Sprinkle sugar-in-the-raw over the top of the cookies to cover.
- In a convection oven: Bake at 350˚F, low fan, until edges are just turning brown (no more than 10-12 minutes). Cookies should not brown on top as it will over-cook the dough and destroy the spice flavor.
- In a conventional oven: Bake at 350˚F until the very center is still a bit soft and the edges are just starting to brown (approx. 13-15 minutes). Cool at room temperature.
Tip from Chef:
*You may only be able to buy Star Anise whole. If so, grind it in a coffee grinder and put it through a sifter to remove large tough parts.