How to prepare
Yield: 6 Servings
Ingredients: 5 lbs. Short Ribs
1 tbsp. Salt, Kosher
1 tbsp. Pepper, Black, Coarse Ground
3 tbsp. Oil
1 1/2 lbs. Yellow Onion, chopped
1 1/2 lbs. Carrots
1 lb. Celery
1 oz. Tomato Paste
1 Bottle Red Wine (fruity; not tannic) 1/2 Bunch Parsley
5-6 Sprigs Fresh Thyme 4-5 Sprigs Fresh Oregano
2-3 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
2 Bay Leaves
2 oz. Whole Garlic
1 qt. Veal Stock
1-1/2 oz. Butter
1-1/2 oz. All-purpose Flour
How to brown Short Ribs:
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a heavy, gauged stack pot until smoking.
- Work in batches, brown short ribs on all sides about 5 minutes per batch.
- Transfer short ribs to a sheet pan and set aside.
How to make the base:
- Pour off all the oil except for about 3 tablespoons.
- Add the onions, carrots, and celery over medium heat stirring often. Cook the vegetable mixture until caramelized and very brown.
- Add the tomato paste and continue cooking until well combined and deep red in color; stirring constantly.
- Pour in red wine and deglaze the pan by scraping the bottom of the pan. Then reduce heat and cook until the wine has reduced by half.
- Add the herbs, garlic, and veal stock to the pot.
How to combine altogether:
How to make the sauce:
- Place short ribs into the pot.
- Cover with its top or aluminum foil and place in oven and cook for 2 1/2 hours or until the short ribs are tender and pull away from the bone.
- Gently transfer short ribs to a pan to cool.
- Strain sauce through a sieve.
- Set aside to cool below 150°F.
- This is important to keep your final sauce from lumping. There should be about 3 cups of liquid. If not, add water until you have 3 cups.
- In a clean saucepot, heat butter over medium and melt.
- Cook butter until most of the bubbling stops (bubbling is caused from boiling off water from the butter, which we don’t want).
- Add flour while whisking and continue to whisk until the “roux” is smooth.
- While constantly whisking, add the sieved reserved sauce to the pan and bring to a simmer, gently whisking the whole time.
- The sauce will thicken and come to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Add the reserved short ribs to the sauce and gently heat in the sauce until hot.
How to assemble your dish:
Serve with your favorite side dish. We recommend polenta to absorb all short rib juices or alternative purees from mashed potatoes to white beans.