How to prepare cookiesDifficulty Level:Yield: 50 - 60 cookies
Spices: Ingredients for dough: 3 tsp. ground Ginger3 tsp. ground Cinnamon2 tsp. ground Cardamom1 -1 1/2 tsp. ground Cloves1 tsp. ground Star Anise*~ mix all together in a bowl and reserve. 1 - 1 1/2 cups (12 oz.) unsalted butter, room temperature1 - 1 1/3 cups sugar1 tsp. iodized salt3 egg yolks2 Tbls. Vanilla Extract3 - 3/4 cps All Purpose Flour (sifted after measuring)Spice mixture from aboveRaw sugar crystals for decorationHow to make the cookie dough
- Place butter, sugar, and salt in a mixer with paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add yolks 1 at a time, mixing after each yolk until incorporated. Turn off mixer and scrape down bowl.
- Add vanilla extract and mix until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine spice mix into flour and mix with a whisk until incorporated.
- Turn off mixer and add flour mixture to mixing bowl. Mix on low just until dough comes together, NO MORE, scraping down the bowl as necessary.
- Remove dough from bowl and divide into 2-3 portions that can be rolled into logs 1-1/2” wide. Place on parchment lined pan, cover and chill overnight or at least 3 hours.
- Cut chilled dough into 3/8” thick coins. Place on parchment with 1” between cookies. Sprinkle Sugar-in-the-raw over the top of the cookies to cover.
- In a convection oven: Bake in a 350˚ F, low fan, until edges are JUST turning brown, no more than 10-12 minutes. Cookies should not brown on top as that will over-cook the dough and destroy the spice flavor.
- In a regular oven: 350 ˚ F, until the very center is still a bit soft, and the edges are JUST starting to brown, 13-15 minutes. Cool at room temperature.
Tip from Chef:
*You may only be able to buy Star Anise whole. If so, grind it in a coffee grinder, and put it through a sifter to remove the large tough parts.